Tuesday 23 January 2007

the big countdown....


Over the last week, these posters have appeared all over the city, on bus shelters, on advertising hoardings, on buses etc. Smoking in public places is finally being banned on 30th April and most people I 've spoken to (even smokers) are really looking forward to it. In 1994 Southern Ireland was the first country in Europe to impose a workplace ban, and despite the fears of pub and restaurant owners, it didn't have any real effect on profits. I'm really looking forward to April 30th - it will be great to be able to call into any cafe or pub and not have to breathe in other people's smoke.

6 comments:

~tanty~ said...

I'm so agree with this! Passive smoker is also bad for health.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
And thank you for your comment on my site.
It`s always a pleasure to get a new visitor.
It`s a good law in every way, we have also it in Finland.

Jess in MA said...

They banned smoking in bars and restaurants in Boston a few years ago. There was a lot of business people who were upset, but once the ban was in place bars and restaurants around town actually saw an INCREASE of business- about 30% on weekdays. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Carol E. said...

Hooray! I totally agree.

blueboat said...

Thanks for visiting and for your comments - I think business will improve in Belfast pubs - I know a lot of people (myself included) try to avoid the smokey atmosphere.

Eric said...

Yes good for the health of the Irish!