Wednesday 10 October 2007

Templemore Pool

Commemorative plaque at the entrance to Templemore Baths. The baths were built at the end of the 19th century (along with baths at Ormeau Avenue, Falls Road and Peter's Hill), when very few houses had bathrooms. (Doesn't bear thinking about.) Since then, generations in east Belfast have learnt to swim here and Templemore now has really excellent swimming tuition. (I see from the plaque that James Ellis and George Best both swam here - along with pretty much everyone else in East Belfast - which makes me wonder why no reference to Van Morrison? He grew up only about half a mile away - surely he went for a swim sometime in his childhood??!)

6 comments:

dr. adder said...

perhaps they don't want to admit that he swam in their pool - I know I wouldn't (c:~

dr. adder said...

Mind you, I swam there once (a school PE session - I think Ormeau was fully booked) and I went to Peters Hill baths for a bath (more than once, I hasten to add) because our poor wee council house didn't have a bathroom. The alternative was a tin bath in the back yard (I kid ye not) - you youngsters don't know how good you've got it.
We are talking 40+ years ago.

WichitaKsDailyPhoto said...

I have a special fondness for Ireland, and have enjoyed your photos.

duopastorale said...

Actually, I don't have a bath either.

dr. adder said...

I see you now have ads on your blog -- did you realise that one of your first ads was for the new Aurora development?

blueboat said...

Thanks for your comments.
I hadn't noticed the ad for the Aurora development (must start to check this)